Tommy John Speaker Profile
Retired Pitcher for the New York Yankees.
- Baseball Celebrities, Featured Baseball, Top10 Baseball, Sports Broadcasting Speakers
- Available For:
- Corporate Appearances, Speaking Engagements, Autograph Signings, Endorsements, Meet & Greets and Keynote Speeches
- Travels From:
- Available Upon Request
- Appearance Booking Fee Range:
- Call for Booking Fee
- Contact Tommy John Booking Agent
Tommy John Biography
Tommy John Jr. was born May 22, 1943 in Terre Haute, Indiana and is a former left-handed pitcher in Major League Baseball whose 288 career victories rank as the 7th highest total among lefthanders in major league history. He is also known for the revolutionary surgery, now named after him, which was performed on a damaged ligament in his pitching arm.
Tommy John was originally signed by the Cleveland Indians, getting his major league start in 1963. Of his 26-year major league career, he is best remembered for his seasons with the Los Angeles Dodgers in the 1970s. He made appearances in the All-Star Game in 1968, 1978, 1979, and 1980. He played in all three Yankees vs. Dodgers World Series of his era (1977, 1978 and 1981), but was on the losing end of all three, having switched over to the Yankees by the time the Dodgers took the Series in 1981. John never played on a major league championship team.
In the middle of the 1974 season, John was cruising along with a 13-3 record as the Dodgers were en route to their first National League pennant in eight years, before he permanently damaged the ulnar collateral ligament in his pitching arm, leading to a revolutionary surgical operation. This operation, now known as Tommy John surgery, replaced the ligament in the elbow of his pitching arm with a tendon from his right forearm. The surgery was performed by Dr. Frank Jobe on September 25, 1974, and although it seemed unlikely he would ever be able to pitch again, he spent the entire 1975 season in recovery and returned to the Dodgers in 1976. His 10-10 record that year was considered "miraculous" but John went on to pitch until 1989, winning 164 games after his surgery-one fewer game than all-time great Sandy Koufax won in his entire career. After Phil Niekro's retirement, John spent 1988 and 1989 as the oldest player in the major leagues. Today, many pitchers have Tommy John surgery during their careers.
Still, he decided it was time to retire in 1989, when Mark McGwire got two hits off him. McGwire's father was John's dentist. John said of his decision, "When your dentist's kid starts hitting you, it's time to retire!"
On December 17, 2006, John was named manager of the Bridgeport Bluefish in the Atlantic League, an independent minor league in the Northeast.
John did commentary on select games during WPIX's final year of broadcasting Yankee baseball in 1998. He also guest hosted the Mike and Mike ESPN Radio program on June 26, 2008. It is unknown whether he will do any further work for the network.
Tommy John Hiring and Booking InformationPopular baseball players such as a Tommy John have made the national past time what it is today. The booking agents at AthletePromotions can assist with Tommy John appearances or speaking engagements from current and retired legends. We have years of experience in booking the boys of summer for autograph signings as well as keynote speeches. Booking a baseball speaker like Tommy John is not a hard process. Our agents can provide availability, fees and all costs associated in bringing out a successful baseball star to your next corporate event. Our team will find Tommy John’s agent to make this booking happen. A Tommy John appearance will add energy to your upcoming event and reward employees, customers and clients. Most likely, baseball fans and corporations can find Tommy John's official website, charity involvement, Twitter account, representation, publicist and management info at www.Tommy John.com.
Videos of Tommy John Speaking
Recent Tommy John Blogs
Posted on 17 December 2014 | 6:14 pm
Former MLB pitching legend Tommy John was the guest speaker at MLB veteran pitcher Joe Thatcher's Pitch In For Youth charity dinner on Saturday, November 22 in Kokamo, Indiana. During his speech at the Kokamo Country Club he spoke about his career and and the future of the game of baseball for the youth in the country. "We're excited this year to have Tommy John come speak, a...[Read More]
Posted on 24 April 2014 | 7:06 pm
MLB legend Tommy John will be the keynote speaker for the Atlantic Coast Exposition (ACE) 60th diamond anniversary celebration. His address is to be a part of the ACE2014 slogan: Hitting Grand Slams Since 1954. There will be two opportunities to hear Tommy John's entertaining keynote speech at ACE2014, with the first being at the ACE Awards Breakfast on Saturday, October 4, from 7:30...[Read More]
Posted on 12 December 2013 | 5:07 pm
Legendary pitcher Tommy John will be the keynote speaker at the inaugural Roadrunner Baseball Hot Stove Dinner on Saturday, Feb. 8 at the Kern County Fairgrounds hosted by Bakersfield Roadrunner Baseball. The event will feature live and silent auction items, a meet and greet with the 2014 Roadrunners baseball team and other special guests including current and former professional...[Read More]
- AthletePromotions acts only as an athlete broker for corporate functions, private events and speaking engagements. Athlete Promotions does not claim or represent itself as Tommy John's agent, speakers bureau, manager, publicist, assistant, PR firm or management company. Athlete Promotions is a celebrity booking agency representing organizations and groups seeking to hire motivational speakers, athletes, celebrities and corporate entertainment for private corporate events, athlete endorsements, personal athlete appearances, spokesperson campaigns and speaking engagements. We are often asked how we can book Tommy John for an event? Our celebrity booking agency can hire Tommy John for celebrity golf tournaments, tradeshows, conventions, store grand openings, VIP meet and greets, licensing deals, print advertising and television commercials. Tommy John booking and appearance fees, costs and prices on this website are estimates and are only act as a guideline. Exact booking fees are determined by a number of factors, including location of event, the celebrities schedule, desired duties, supply and demand and other market factors. Bios on this site are for informational purposes only and deemed to be reliable resources, but not guaranteed. Some parts of the athlete's biography may be used from Wikipedia, which is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.